Week 9: Copyright and Fair Use
(This class will be lecture intensive.)
Lecture note: see the shared folder
Reading and Video:
Recommended readings for the assignment:
Recommended readings for the instructor
Homework: Answer copyright questions.
Please explain whether the following scenarios have infringed copyright law. If the answer is no, explain whether it is a fair use. Refer to the required and optional readings for supporting your writing. Use MLA style for in-text as well as bibliographic citations. Each scenario counts for 10 points.
1. Evolution of Dance – Youtube www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMH0bHeiRNg
2. A college student uses a file sharing program (peer-to-peer program) to share the song “Poker Face” by Lady Gaga with his friend.
3. A LRC103 student downloads an article from the LRC103 Blackboard site, prints it out and reads it.
4. A LaGuardia student checks out a reserve loan textbook from the library, goes to Nekoprint in the B building, makes a copy of the whole book, uses it for the whole semester and sells it to another LaGuardia student.
5. Your friend downloads one of your facebook pictures and publishes it on a blog. You give permission and the friend credits you as the photographer.