Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Library Media Resources Center
- Abu-Lughod, Janet L. Race, Space, and Riots in Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles. New York: Oxford University Press, 2007.
Call no.: HV6477 .A38 2007
- Arnesen, Eric. Black protest and the great migration: a brief history with documents. Boston: Bedford/St. Martin's, 2003.
Call no.: E185.6 .A76 2003
- Anderson, Jervis. This was Harlem: a cultural portrait, 1900-1950. New York: Farrar Straus Giroux, 1982.
Call no.: F 128.68 .H3 A65 1982
- Bernstein, Iver. The New York City draft riots: their significance for American society and politics in the age of the Civil War. New York: Oxford University Press, 1991.
Call no.: F128.44 .B47 1991
- Biondi, Martha. To stand and fight: the struggle for civil rights in postwar New York City. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University, 2003.
Call no.: F128.9 .N4 B56 2003
- Boskin, Joseph. Urban racial violence in the twentieth century. Beverly Hills, CA: Glencoe Press, 1976.
Call no.: HV 6477 .B6 1976
- Brandt, Nat. Harlem at war: the Black experience in WWII. Syracuse: Syracuse University Press, 1996
Call no.: F 128.68 .H3 B65 1996
- Capeci, Dominic J. The Harlem Riot of 1943. Philadelphia : Temple University Press, 1977.
Call no.: Reference F128.68 .H3 C36
- New York (N.Y.). Mayor LaGuardia's Commission on the Harlem Riot of March 19, 1935. The complete report of Mayor LaGuardia's Commission on the Harlem Riot of March 19, 1935. New York: Arno Press, 1969.
Call no.: F 128.68 .H3 A53
- Encyclopedia of American Race Riots. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 2007.
Call no.: Reference E184 .A1 E573 2007
- Gordon, Michael A. The Orange riots: Irish political violence in New York City, 1870 and 1871. Ithaca, N.Y: Cornell University Press, 1993.
Call no.: F 128.9 .I6 G67 1993
- Greenburg, Cheryl. Or Does It Explode?: Black Harlem in the Great Depression. New York : Oxford University Press, 1991.
Call no.: F 128.68 .H3 G74 1991
- Johnson, Marilynn S. Street justice: a history of police violence in New York City. Boston, MA: Beacon Press, c2003.
Call no.: HV8148 .N52 J63 2003
- Naison, Mark. Communists in Harlem during the Depression. New York : Grove Press, 1983.
Call no.: JK2391.C53 N56 1983
- Petry, Ann. "In Darkness and Confusion." (1947). In Chapman, Abraham (ed). Black voices; an anthology of Afro-American literature. New York: New American Library, 1968.
Call no.: PS 508.N3 C5
- Reporting civil rights. Part 1. American journalism: 1941-1963. New York: Library of America: Penguin Putnam, 2003.
Contains an article by Richard Wright that appeared in the NY Post about the Harlem Riot of 1943.
Call no.: E185.61 .R47 2003
LaGuardia Community College
31-10 Thomson Avenue, room E101
Long Island City, NY 11101
Email the Library