Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Library Media Resources Center
Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society - Alpha Theta Phi @ LaGuardia Community College
Honors in Action Program Guide -- 2020-2021: Inheritance and Legacy
Where do we start?
Step 1: Think about your topic! What questions are you trying to answer?
Step 2: List terms that best represent the main concepts of your topic.
- relevant to topic or assignment
If nothing comes to mind, it is time to do some background research!
Library resources for Theme 1 - Articles
"Ages & Stages: Making Choices." Early Childhood Today, Scholastic. https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/articles/teaching-content/ages-stages-making-choices/. Accessed 30 July 2020.
Aldy, Joseph E. "Mobilizing political action on behalf of future generations." The Future of Children, vol. 26, no. 1, Spring 2016, p. 157+. Gale Academic OneFile, https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A451939084/AONE?u=cuny_laguardia&sid=AONE&xid=108a311f. Accessed 30 July 2020.
Calarco, Jessica McCrory. "'Free-Range' Parenting's Unfair Double Standard." Atlantic Online, 03 April 2018. NexisUni, advance-lexis-com.rpa.laguardia.edu/api/document?collection=news&id=urn:contentItem:5S1F-KC41-DYY9-J1WW-00000-00&context=1516831. Accessed July 30, 2020.
Copeland WE, Shanahan L, Hinesley J, et al. Association of Childhood Trauma Exposure With Adult Psychiatric Disorders and Functional Outcomes. JAMA Netw Open. 2018;1(7):e184493. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.4493
Crosser, Sandra. "Would You Like an Apple or a Banana? Why Offering Toddlers Choices Is Important." EarlychildhoodNews.com, http://www.earlychildhoodnews.com/earlychildhood/article_view.aspx?ArticleID=691. Accessed July 30, 2020.
DeParle, Jason. "The Coronavirus Generation." New York Times. 22 August 2020. <https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/22/sunday-review/coronavirus-poverty-child-allowance.html> Accessed August 24, 2020. [Refers to numerous studies on childhood poverty and its social consequences.]
"Domestic Violence." Gale Opposing Viewpoints Online Collection, Gale, 2020. Gale In Context: Opposing Viewpoints, https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/PC3010999223/OVIC?u=cuny_laguardia&sid=OVIC&xid=c4b67e6. Accessed 30 July 2020.
"Dr. Tilmann Betsch – What Children Can and Cannot Do in Decision Making." Scientia, 28 Sept. 2018, https://www.scientia.global/dr-tilmann-betsch-what-children-can-and-cannot-do-in-decision-making/. Accessed 30 July 2020.
Falconer, Rachel, and Steven M. Shardlow. “Comparing Child Protection Decision-Making in England and Finland: Supervised or Supported Judgement?” Journal of Social Work Practice, vol. 32, no. 2, June 2018, pp. 111–124. EBSCOhost, doi:10.1080/02650533.2018.1438996.
Hutchison, Monica, Beth S. Russell, and Mackenzie N. Wink. "Social‐emotional competence trajectories from a school‐based child trauma symptom intervention in a disadvantaged community." Psychology in the Schools, vol. 57, no. 8, 05 May 2020, p. 1257-1272. Wiley Online Library, https://doi-org.rpa.laguardia.edu/10.1002/pits.22388. Accessed 30 July 2020.
Luo, Y., Hétu, S., Lohrenz, T., Hula, A., Dayan, P., Ramey, S. L., Sonnier-Netto, L., Lisinski, J., LaConte, S., Nolte, T., Fonagy, P., Rahmani, E., Montague, P. R., & Ramey, C. (2018). Early childhood investment impacts social decision-making four decades later. Nature communications, 9(1), 4705. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-018-07138-5
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. (2019). A Roadmap to Reducing Child Poverty. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. doi: https://doi.org/10.17226/25246.
"Predictability of parent interaction positively influences child's development." NewsRx Health, 8 Sept. 2019, p. 295. Gale Academic OneFile, https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A598073311/AONE?u=cuny_laguardia&sid=AONE&xid=c65ef0a1. Accessed 30 July 2020.
Rees C. (2007). Childhood attachment. The British journal of general practice : the journal of the Royal College of General Practitioners, 57(544), 920–922. https://doi.org/10.3399/096016407782317955
Yates, J. F., & de Oliveira, S. (2016). Culture and decision making. Organizational behavior and human decision processes, 136, 106–118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.obhdp.2016.05.003
Do you have any recommended sources to add?
What are our learning outcomes?
PTK Honors in Action Project - Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate undergraduate research fundamentals by identifying sources, appraising their credibility, and formulating conclusions based on evidence.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and reflective skills throughout the research process.
- To learn more about Honors in Action, enroll in the PTK Research Edge online tutorial.
Recommended Resources from the Honors Program Guide
Theme 1: The Heirs of Our Ways
Aldy, J. E. (2016). Mobilizing political action on behalf of future generations. The future of children, 26(1), 157-178. Retrieved from https://go-gale-com.rpa.laguardia.edu/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CA451939084&v=2.1&u=cuny_laguardia&it=r&p=AONE&sw=w
- Copeland, W. E., Shanahan, L., Hinesley, J., Chan, R. F., Alberg, K. A., Fairbank, J. A., van den Oord, E. J. C. G.& Costello, E. J. (2018, November 9). Association of childhood trauma exposure with adult psychiatric disorders and functional outcomes. JAMA Network Open (7), 1-11. Retrieved from https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2713038
- Darling-Hammond, L. (2017). Teacher education around the world: What can we learn from international practice? European Journal of Teacher Education, 40(3), 291-309. Retrieved from https://mail-lagcc-cuny-edu.rpa.laguardia.edu/viplogin/default.aspx?redirect=http://search.ebscohost.com.rpa.laguardia.edu:2048/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=123690702&site=ehost-live
- Gopnik, A. (2009). The philosophical baby: What children’s minds tell us about truth, love, and the meaning of life. New York, NY: Farrar, Straus and Giroux. [If this is not available as an ebook, see related sources such as this talk given by the author.]
Lally, R. (2013). For our babies: Ending the invisible neglect of America’s infants. New York, NY: Teacher’s College Press, Columbia University. Physical copy at LaGuardia CC Library HQ778.63 .L35 2013 > If the book is not available, here are resources from the website associated with the book
- Benyus, J. M. (1997). Biomimicry: Innovation inspired by nature. New York, NY: William Morris. [If the ebook is not available, see this TED Talk by the author.]
- Diamond, J. (2011). Collapse: How societies choose to fail or succeed: (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Penguin Group. [If the ebook is not available, see this TED Talk by the author.]
- Goodell, J. (2017). The water will come: Rising seas, sinking cities, and the remaking of the civilized world. New York, NY: Little Brown. [If the ebook is not available, see this talk by the author.]
- Lovelock, J. (2016). A rough ride to the future. New York, NY: Harry N. Abrams. [If the ebook is not available, see this talk by the author.]
- Quinn, D. (1995). Ishmael: A Novel. New York, NY: Bantam. [If the ebook is not available, see this interview with the author.]
- Ripple, W. J., Wolf, C., Newsome, T. M., Galetti, M., Alamgir, M., Crist, E., Mahmoud, M. I., & Laurance, W. F. (2017). World scientists’ warning to humanity: A second notice. BioScience, 67(12), 1026–1028. Retrieved from https://academic.oup.com/ bioscience/article/67/12/1026/4605229
- Lacroix, C., Tétart-Vittu, F., Trubert-Tollu, C., Martin-Hattemberg, J., & Olivieri, F. (2017). The House of Worth: 1858 - 1954: The birth of haute couture. London, England: Thames and Hudson.
- Liu, X. & Shaffer, L. N. (2007). Connections across Eurasia: Transportation, communication, and cultural exchange on the Silk Roads. New York, NY: McGraw Hill.
- Morris, C. R. (2012). The dawn of innovation: The first American Industrial Revolution. New York, NY: PublicAffairs.
- McKibben, B. (2006). The age of missing information (reprint ed.). New York, NY: Random House.
- Adichie, C. N. (2009, Oct.). The danger of a single story [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_adichie_the_danger_of_a_single_story
- Austin, J. L. (1975). How to do things with words. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Ayunerak, P., Alstrom, D., Moses, C., James, Sr., C., & Rasmus, S. M. (2014). Yup’ik culture and context in southwest Alaska: Community member perspectives of tradition, social change, and prevention. American Journal of CommunityPsychology, 54(1-2), 91-99. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4119478/
- Baldwin, J. (Ed.). (2018). Navigating post truth and alternative facts: Religion and science as political theology. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Brooks, D. (2015). The road to character. New York, NY: Thorndike Press.
- Sheen, N., Smith, H., Kenworthy, E. W., & Butterfield, F. (2017). The Pentagon Papers: The secret history of the Vietnam war. New York, NY: Racehorse.
- Berberoglu, B. (Ed.). (2018). The Palgrave handbook of social movements, revolution, and social transformation. London, England: Palgrave McMillan.
- Carson, R., Darling, L., Darling, L. (2002). Silent spring (anniversary ed.). Cambridge, MA: Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Cipresso, P., Giglioli, I., Raya, M. A., & Riva, G. (2018). The past, present, and future of virtual and augmented reality research: A network and cluster analysis of the literature. Frontiers in Psychology, 9, 2086. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6232426/
- Faris, D. (2014). Dissent and revolution in a digital age: Social media, blogging and activism in Egypt. London, England: I.B. Taurus.
- Chua, A. (2004). World on fire: How exporting free market democracy spreads ethnic hatred and global instability. New York, NY: Anchor.
- Coccia, M. & Bellitto, M. (2018). Human progress and its socioeconomic effects in society. Journal of Economic and Social Thought 5(2), 160-178. Retrieved from https://ssrn.com/abstract=3219147
- Juma, C. (2016). Innovation and its enemies: Why people resist new technologies. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Kennedy, P. (2011). Preparing for the Twenty-First Century, (reprint ed.) New York, NY: Vintage.
- Horowitz, A. (2010). Inside of a dog: What dogs see, smell, and know. New York, NY: Scribner.
- Kübler-Ross, E. (2014). On death & dying: What the dying have to teach doctors, nurses, clergy, and their own families, (reprint ed.). New York, NY: Scribner.
- Sunderam S., Kissin D. M., Zhang Y., Folger, S., Boulet, S., Warner, L., Callaghan, W., & Barfield, W. (2016). Assisted reproductive technology surveillance -United States, 2016 surveillance summaries. 68(4), 1–23. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/68/ss/ss6804a1.htm
Library resources for Theme 1 - Books
LaGuardia Community College
31-10 Thomson Avenue, room E101
Long Island City, NY 11101
Email the Library